Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrigavitch View Post
I just bought a used E90 M3 this spring. It has the 18" gunmetal wheels on which have some road rash on all 4. I also am needing some winter wheels so I think I'll use these for my winter wheels and get some Apex ARC's next spring for my summer wheels.

I've read most of this thread and see that many are going with 275/35-18 square setup. I mostly use the car as a DD, but have done 1 auto-x this year and hope to do 5 or so next year. I may do 1 track day/ year if I can find a way to get to a track. I like the idea of being able to rotate the tires front to back, but it's not that important to me. With my usage patterns in mind would a square setup work well for me on the 18x10 inch wheels? What are the downsides to going with a 30mm wider front tire for street driving?
Your usage is similar to mine, summer DD and a few AX per year. I find absolutely NO downside to the square setup. The ride is good (on Dunlops Direzzas) and quiet and the grip is great. I haven't rotated yet, but I'll do that next spring when the winter tires come off. BTW, I use the same winters as you propose.

Dave