View Single Post
      01-03-2011, 10:09 AM   #5
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Kind of sounds like a scam, especially if he is claiming that he has to add money to pay off the loan in addition to what he wants you to send.

I personally only do deals in the US with title in hand, meaning that the owner better have title at the moment of transaction so we can head to the notary and sign it over. I do the same when I sell I take the buyer to the local AAA or Notary and make sure it is transacted to the new owner.

Also, it take time even after the loan is paid off to get possession of the title. The problem is each state handle this stuff differently. I know car dealers do this all the time, there are forms you can fill out that says ownership changed hands, and you send this form to the bank holding the loan with a check for the loan balance and they will release the title to the new owner then you have to go to the state and transfer the title to the new owner name and such and get a new title issued.

If you think this is real and the guy is trying to get out from under the car loan, you can check with that states DMV to find out what paper work needs to be submitted to make the transaction happen. You might also call BMWFS and see what they need to release the title to you once the transaction is made.

All I can say this is not going to be a easy deal it going to require lots of leg work on your part
Appreciate 0