01-26-2016, 12:26 PM   #46
FriskyDingo
Rather Ambivalent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Spiritedly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundguy1 View Post
Which is my point. Why doesn't any makers want to step up? Dodge has with the SRT charger. Ford, nada. Chevy has the Chevy SS. It's almost non existent in its promotion. Putting a hot engine in a Taurus for example would push the whole Taurus lineup. They put it in every commercial, then sell the six cylinders like crazy as they now have the performance image. Basic marketing. GM keeps putting the engines in one offs. HHR, Pontiac G8. These are dead cars related to no other cars and therefore do nothing to help push the mainstream cars. Put the engine in an impala or Malibu for god sakes. Ford at least got it with the Focus RS. Now all the focus cars are getting a look from people who didn't look before.
I'm in the car business I can tell you there is just no demand for cars like that. The money Ford and GM would spend on such cars wouldn't be paid back in sales, and would only cut into what they spend on models like the Corvette, Camaro, Mustang, etc.

Ford has no such platform for a Coyote Taurus. It's riding on an old Volvo platform as is. The Mustang is their only RWD-based chassis, and it will not feasibly support a competitive sedan. The SHO is fine as a more performance-geared sedan.

Chevy does woefully undermarket the SS, but the car was an afterthought, anyway. It's nothing more than a Holden soldiering on for a few years in disguise until the assembly lines close.

Sedans are losing more and more market share to CUV's. And the people that are still buying them value efficiency, value, and safety above all else. Building Voodoo-powered Taurus's may sound awesome, but there's just no reason for Ford to do it.
Appreciate 0