Drives: M3, M3, M5, M5

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2005 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post
Love seeing threads like this... You've done an excellent job with the car. Very tasteful and well thought out.

I really like the V1 integration into the instrument cluster... I wish the E9x M3 had a blank space in the cluster that was dedicated to the gear indicator. Keep up the good work!
Thanks!

My goal has long been under 3100 lbs (no driver) with full interior/civility, but I'm close enough now that I'm thinking about moving the target to <3000 lbs (full interior/civility, not including driver). There's a bunch of new options for losing weight coming onto the market, that are without compromise other than cost (cf driveshaft, cf fenders using the OE BMW fender molds, street focused lightweight flywheel systems, etc).

Engine wise, I'm almost done (until it needs a rebuild, but I'm not going to do that till compression/leak down says I need to... so thinking at least another 100,000 miles).

Until then, I'm extremely tempted to do throttle bodies. A friend of mine, with TBs but an otherwise very similar setup, got 375 SAE rwhp out of his car. I'm currently sitting at 360 SAE rwhp, so that's a decent bump.

Come rebuild time, I'm not going to go overly nuts with it. I'm thinking a slight compression bump (12:1) since I never need to put 91 octane in it (and would probably add a second, super safe, map I could swap to with steering wheel controls if I somehow got stuck with some), some friction/heat channeling coatings/treatments, and maybe some mild head work.

I would love it get it to a reliable, streetable and trackable, 400 SAE rwhp NA, in a <3000 lb car.

But, she's feeling pretty incredible, as is, at <3100 lbs and 360rwhp!

... I might go to softer springs in the Ohlins because of the lower than designed weight of the car. When they need a rebuild (because 25-40,000 rebuild intervals), have them revalved to match the new spring rates. I'd like them to be ~2 hz front, 2.3 hz rear.

And that's probably way more than you wanted to know. But, that's where she's headed.

2005 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Wagon, 2001 M5 Sedan, 2008 M5 6MT Sedan, 2012 128i M sport
Appreciate 0