12-30-2014, 12:39 AM   #55
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FogCityM3 View Post
No way. After reading nearly every comparo and review, I just got an extended warranty to 100k, at that time I will do an overhaul of the engine and look for a long-term storage solution and rotate with whatever I have (the GT350, the Vette and Porsches are the only things below 180k that excite me today). While I still want to drive the new car, it's clear that an overwhelming consensus opinion has not been reached from some very well respected reviewers and the car is losing its fair share of comparos, similar to other recent BMWs. I would have been completely comfortable buying the E90 without a test drive (the test drives I did have were a joke anyway and I relied on what other well respected reviews and publications have said) as I would any 911, as nearly everyone gushed over them and were beyond reproach. With the new car, I would at minimum need to take it on a hard drive in the twistys or better yet on the track. Having driven an F430 and Gallardo, I can say that if Ferrari had created a sedan, it would feel a lot like the E90 M3.
Well said. I have no regrets. In fact, quite the opposite: I made the decision to buy a 2013 in part because it would be the one of the last naturally aspirated M cars to roll off the assembly line. I believed then and still believe it will be a classic someday.

I'll be honest: I think the F80 M3 looks awesome, but the F82 M4 looks like ass. If my E92 were stock, I could see the appeal, but with the mods I've put in it (and will soon add), there's no way. Like Fog, my long-term plan is to drive this car for as long as possible. When this engine wears out, I'd like to drop in a Dinan 4.6 stroker or their bored 4.2 with some cams and a 3.45 diff. Shed weight, add power, fix what breaks.

Probably the only other cars that excite me right now are the Carrera GTS, Cayman GTS, or the 991 GT3. But I told my wife when I got the M3 that I wouldn't buy a different car if we had $1 million in the bank, so I guess I'll have to wait until we have $2 million.

Appreciate 1