10-22-2013, 04:27 PM   #94
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward View Post
I feel like neither of you bothered to read the original post which has more info on spacers than the entire forum has ever posted up in aggregate.

10 mm spacers with a hubcentric lip will make your car drive like the tires are shot and your rim is bent also. The spacer itself is not thick enough for the stock hub to fit into it if it also has a hubcentric ring of its own.

I wanted to post because I had an interesting problem with MS spacers. Ran 12mm x 4 on my 225M rims on a 335is coupe with no problem. Never once a vibration even after several unmounting and remountings.

Bought another set when I got a 2013 ZCP coupe M3.

Major issues on the front. Perhaps on the rear also, but it's much more difficult to feel rear wheel vibration because you can't feel it so obviously through the steering wheel as you can when there's an issue with the fronts.

Anyhow, had a lot of vibrations. What was weird is that over the course of 2 hours of straight constant 70 mph driving, the front wheels would phase in and out of being totally smooth and atrociously wobbly.

Took it to my buddy's friends shop. We all agreed that the 12 mm Macht Schnell hubcentric spacer fit flush against the brake rotor hat. No issues there. But it would not fit flush against the inside of the stock ZCP from rim. So we concluded that even though a 12 mm should fit, something was off with the cutaway bevel inside the rim and the protruding bevel on the spacer did not mesh up well. Also, did not measure this but the same non-flush effect could also be created from a hub ring that is too long on the spacer. In any case, the wheel did not fit onto the spacer properly.

After this, I just said screw spacers. I'm done. Nothing worse than making your brand new M3 feel like it has bent ass wheels.

I'd only stick with 12.5mm -18mm spacers. Nothing outside that spec unless you do it right and do a stud conversion kit. That way you can slap any configuration on and screw on the same nuts to lock it down. The M3 GTS uses spacers as factory equipment even after using wider tires at 255 and 285. However, that car has different upgraded 6/4 pot calipers and rotors and also utilizes a stud conversion kit.
I have 12.5 mm Turner spacers front and rear with zero issues. I'd like to go with a 10 mm spacer in the rear, but am reluctant based on everything I've read.

I was also planning to do a stud-conversion kit. Would this increase the odds of running a 10 mm spacer in the rear without issues?
Appreciate 0