View Single Post
      04-12-2021, 08:52 AM   #139
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

how is everyone pressing these bearings in? I had a hell of a time at first! I had some all-thread and crap from when I did my differential bushings and I ended up breaking all that stuff. The old bushings needed heat from a hand torch... the rubber separated from the housing and I could then pry the metal sleeve out of the bore. Not too bad...

Pressing back in sucked. I ended up using a 1 - 1/4" socket which was the perfect diameter to fit over the boot of the bearing but had an outer diameter that was small enough to press through the subframe. Cost was $8.99. I also rented the bushing kit from advanced auto but that's free. I used the large clamp and some of the sleeves from the kit combined with the 1 -1/4" socket to press in/out. Subframe needed to be sanded down. The sphericals seemed too tight otherwise and would not press in at all. I also had to take off the calipers and rotors to get the to spindle side trailing arm bearing. All-in-all it took a lot more effort and time than I was expecting!
Appreciate 0