The Boss
United_States
Rep
Drives: %E2%80%9816 F15 X6

Garage List
2008 E92 335xi  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Whale View Post
I hear you there- I wouldn't say that they're necessary for building a solid foundation however they do help you if you a) aren't as solid/knowledgable in building your food intake correctly and b) need additional protein. Personally I prefer (by a longshot) eating 4-6 chicken breasts, lean beef, etc a day rather than a watery powdery protein shake. Tastes better and feels better to me - that's just me though.

On a separate note, go for 1-1.5g protein for every lb of lean body mass you have for a good ability to gain muscle in FAST. I'm up 15lbs lean muscle in the last 6 months with no supplements. I also have a friend who in a period of 4 weeks put on 8.7lbs of lean body mass by eating 400+g of protein every day for the entire time. Clean eating+volume and strong programming in your workouts WILL PAY OFF! (but eating 400g of protein a day even with protein shakes is hard as balls to do.... that's the real work).

If any of you are looking purely for strength and not athleticism (Crossfit is more about creating elite fitness) I would look into a google search on "GOMAD" (Gallon Of Milk A Day) and "Starting Strength" with paleo diet modified slightly. You'll see amazing gains in lifts (OLY lifts included which are arguably the most important).
I agree. I say they are necessary due to the fact that most people will not take the time to cook that much chicken or fish. The protein powders do give you different types of aminos as well. I don't know any bodybuilders that do not use them, pretty much impossible if you are shooting for 1-2g per pound. Convinence is key

Congrats on your accomplishment, keep up the good work! It is takes time and dedication for that for sure
2011 E92 M3- Retired
2011 E90 335- Retired
2008 E92 335- Retired
Appreciate 0