Hans Delbruck
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63, 135i, Evo FE, GLE63

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
~40 lbs

The tranny we'll probably see as the M-DCT is from Getrag and weighs 78kg (link). Their comparable SMG unit weighs 71 kg so that difference is a mere 15lbs. Probably not the best comparo though as the benchmark is the 6MT (the same one in the 335i, I am fairly sure) which is the ZF type G. No matter where I look I haven't been able to find the weight of this unit (been looking a while as well...). The closest match Getrag unit to the ZF type G weighs in at 53kg, if the ZF type G is similar in weight (likely) the DCT penalty is then about 40 lb.

Industry sources have stated the car will be faster with the DCT. The only way it will be faster if it it has a good launch capability. As we know 6MT in the E46 M3 was usually faster in 0-X sprints than SMG because of generally getting a better launch when executed perfectly by a skilled driver. SMG then offered only marginally better shift times.

Epacy: take it easy on Fifthstreetz. We all know the Getrag unit will be quite similar to the VW box and inheirent in any DCT design is nearly instantaneous shifts. VW times have been quotes at 8 ms. Since we expect the M-DCT to be better than the VW (Borg-Warner) unit we are in for very fast shifts. Well I guess calling the DCT "pretty much an auto" did deserve some -ing...
Thanks swamp..... I knew you would come through
Appreciate 0