View Single Post
      03-11-2007, 07:57 AM   #9
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDYANKEE View Post
I like the low end power of my 335, but the handling will be otherworldly in the M3.
Stock for stock the M3 will handle better for sure, but we have to remember its not like they are using top secret alien technology. You can make the 335i handle like race car too if you go aftermarket. You can even get an LSD but you will need to go custom, I think, if you want one that is as good as the M diff. Of course, this will all mean spending a good chunk of change. And its also likely the M3 will use more aluminum in the suspension which you will not have on the 335i (unless you bought the OEM parts and put them on but again that's more $$$).

Quote:
I guess I will just be waiting like the rest of you to see what the new M drives like, and make my decision from there. Considering quickness, the gap between the 330 and the M3 (E46s) in the 0-60 was 1.2 seconds, with a C&D tested 4.9 second 60 on the 335 coupe manual, I don't see how that gap can be maintained...not that 0-60 is how I determine what I go for, but it just seems like the new top of the line non-M 3 series is closing in on the M3.
Exactly - the value equation is beginning to brake down for this generation. Or so it appears at this early stage in the game. One thing is for certain - the M3 will not match peak torque of the 335i in stock form and once you chip the 335i - forget it. Definitely a wait and see approach is the wise move.

Quote:
With a $1300 Vishnu tuning chip, a 335 will still be anywhere from 13-17k cheaper and will be faster (albeit not handle nearly as well). I am torn, but this will have to wait until I drive the M3
And on top of that 17k savings, you can do ED on the 335i and save another 6k (you can do ED on a M3 too but it will save you nothing) and plus you can likely order it more stripped than the M3 making the differnce even greater. My wife's E90 335i was less than 40k (just over 40k when we add in tax). I can't imagine that, for another 10k invested - PROcede, suspension, and LSD - that it could not be made to come within striking distance of an M3. I could end up being wrong about that, but right now it just doesn't seem like its an unreasonable proposal.
Appreciate 0