View Single Post
      06-23-2011, 06:54 PM   #56
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

You want to know why?

Long long time ago, I have a ton of friends that would go to the track on a fairly regular basis. At the time I was happy just tooling around in my car and putting tens of thousands of dollars into "modding" it for fun. I didn't care about "the track" because, why should anyone pay good money to go around and drive your car, when driving on the street is perfectly free? I didn't see what the allure is. Plus I was already god's gift to drivers, I passed my driving test with perfect scores...Why should I learn how to drive fast when I already know how to drive fast?

Then one day, the group of track buddies asked if I wanted to go to Vegas. They have the room paid for, I just have to ride up and ride back with someone, but I'd get a free weekend in Vegas, on one condition: That I'd get a ride from one of the BMW CCA instructors at the event.

Free trip to Vegas? Sign me up!

The rest was history. I got a ride from a very good instructor from the Road Runner chapter of BMW CCA and next thing I know, I just absolutely had to try my hands at this. In a way, I wish I hadn't, since this "sport" cost me more every year than a good cocaine habit would cost. And I don't even pay for track time anymore. But it is what it is. It's like trying to convince someone that's never skydived that skydiving is a thrill of a lifetime. Or trying to convince a life-long Atheist that his salvation lies in belief in someone named Jesus Christ. It's something that, unless it's experienced, and experienced in a manner where the dude or dudette showing you how to to do this are absolute PROFESSIONALS at it...You'll never get it or understand it.

And just like skydiving and Jesus Christ, some people never like it or get it. I don't. I'm still a life long Atheist despite my wife being "born again" and her numerous attempts at getting me to go to church. I've never and will never try skydiving no matter how "fun" it is. It just ain't me. And the "high performance driving" game isn't for everyone. There are people who buy high performance cars just to get from point A to point B or just to look good. In fact, those probably far out-number "us." There's nothing wrong with that, it's just a simple fact...It. Is. What. It. Is.

There's no point trying to understand it.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0