ManAndMachine
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80M3 BG KO, '17 Taco Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love My Car View Post
I had to register just for this.

Why do I not track my car? Because it's fucking expensive to do so. It has nothing to do with being able to afford the car, I could afford 3 of them easily, but tracking here in tri state area costs a lot of money.

You have 2 ways of tracking the car:

a) you go for HDPEs that are hosted by BMWCCA or other clubs, which cost at a minimum $400 per day and that's just you sitting in a car with another person (unless you have done this for 5 years and you are expert), its not like you in a race track driving the shit out of your car the way you want (without dangering others obviously). At most you'll do 5-6 laps and that'll be all.

b) you join tracks as member, such as NJMP (New Jersey Motorsport Park). With the membership, you can go to the track any of the "public" days, which are very rare (30 times/year or so, so on average once twice a week). Well that sounds "alright", oh wait, you have to pay an "initiation fee" of $15,000 and a yearly "due" of $2,400! Nice ha?

Unless you shit money, I don't think anyone would pay 20k for tracking their car, so option b is gone. For option a, meh, it might be okay to "see what's out there", but absolutely its not something you can do on a continuous basis. What I want to do is to be able to track my car when I want where I want. I highly doubt these tracks have races every day. So why don't they let you pay a fee yourself, show your helmet, tech inspection, and bam track your car? I have no idea, I guess part of it has to do with this being America and the air you breathe as much as your spit costs money.

I was so disappointed to find out about this last winter, I bought my M3 with only one thing in mind, tracking. Now unless I want to spend more than I spend for the car a month (2 track days a month will run me for $1,000, my car payment is $950), there is no way for me to enjoy this car.

So, persian, I'm not sure what the heck you are talking about my friend, you are in California and you are saying $150 for an open track? I'll just "only in Hollywood movies" and leave it there.
He's not just dreaming my friend,Track days out here are anywhere from $99-$200 for a full day of driving.They usually consist of 3 run groups,beginner,intermediate and advanced.I usually end up spending around $200 for a typical track day including gas and food and usually spend 5 20min sessions through the day.

Tires and oil changes I consider as a regular maintenance on a car of this caliber,no way around that.

Sucks that you've gotta shell out upwards of a grand to attend a track day out there,but there's gotta be someone out there doing track days like we have out here in CA.
Appreciate 0