06-09-2011, 11:16 AM   #91
bruce.augenstein@comcast.
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-video/audi-rs5-vs-bmw-m3-video/

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonteCarloM3 View Post
Pretty fair statements although i disagree with the RS5 besting the M3 in the twisties. It's a big 'ol piggie, bigger than the M, and handles as such for the most part (ive driven one). It's the electronic wizardry that keeps the RS5 from being an understeering cow...
Point taken- but I have to say it gets complicated.

Those two videos from a few months back clearly showed the RS5 to be a little quicker than the M3 in the twisties. In each case, the drivers agreed that the Audi was quicker, but not by much.

The drivers were magazine types, I think. Competent, but not race types.

Is the M3 more fun in the twisties? I think that's probably correct, although I haven't driven the RS5.

However, it does in fact get complicated, as I mentioned.

In these cases, I believe with some confidence that the Audi drivers were having more fun, because the bimmer pilots were working very, very hard to keep up. Taken individually, the bimmer is almost certainly the better overall dance partner, but going head to head, not so much.

As to electronic wizardry taming the Audi, I personally don't care if it's steam-powered wizardry. Flat out and head to head, the Audi was quicker, and the bimmer pilots were even getting a tad sloppy from time to time in the effort to keep up. Go here for an example. Couldn't find the other video, but the results were the same. Flat out, the Audi was a bit quicker.

No biggie, from my point of view, but slamming the Audi doesn't make sense, even in this venue. It's a viable competitor.

For me, the bimmer would be the car of choice between these two, because I haven't yet internalized the fact that the automatic boxes are obviously better, so I continue with my outdated preferences for a clutch and snick-snick shift lever.

Bruce

Last edited by bruce.augenstein@comcast.; 06-09-2011 at 11:40 AM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0