07-28-2010, 12:40 PM   #179
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
I agree the AWD system is better in bad weather. However, what I don't agree with is the weight you put on its significance. How many days a year are you driving in heavy rain or snow? And even with AWD, you have more capability but it isn't as though you can drive like you would on a clear day. AWD doesn't make any car invincible. So, for the 15 to 20 days a year that you are driving in really poor weather, the AWD system wins for sure. In nice weather, it is personal preference and, many, would prefer RWD.

The M3 IS driveable in all weather (other than deep snow). I have owned RWD BMWs and Infinitis for the last several years and driven them all winter. The only time there is a problem is because of clearance in deep snow. The RS5 will have the same issue regardless of Quattro.

I have driven the R8 quite a bit and the grip is truly amazing but it is also less involving and fun than the RWD M3. I would choose an R8 over the M3 (if it were close in price, which it isn't) mainly because of how gorgeous the R8 and NOT because of the AWD. Again, for the few days a year when it matters, the RS5 is better. The rest of the year, it is personal preference and it seems most reviews are still favouring the M3.
+1.

I've gone from FWD to AWD and finally found my groove with RWD.

When we had the big snowstorms in the East last winter, I could take out the X3 simply because it has 8" of ground clearance - in previous years in similar conditions I managed to beach my A4 quite thoroughly 3 feet from my driveway. In snow, tires and clearance are king - everything else are simply nice to haves, not essentials.

Interesting thing is I got the M3 after test driving it on rain-slicked country roads, that's where it blew my mind. I took it out in the pouring rain on track at Summit Point this past May and just blew everything else into the weeds - it's the confidence, the predictability that let's you try things you'd never dream of in other cars.

So maybe I'm one of the few weird ones, but I prefer a nice RWD chassis even in bad weather.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0