05-06-2024, 07:06 AM   #6
jvictormp
Captain
Brazil
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E92 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assimilator1 View Post
Haven't see the videos yet, but good write up.
Is their good evidence now that it is dirt that is jamming the injectors up? Last I looked into it, it was just a theory.

Re heat into the fuel pipes/metal filters.
Like you said the fuel filter will feel hotter even where the temp is the same, but don't forget that the higher thermal conductivity of the metal filters means more of the heat will be transferred to the fuel.
Although perhaps the impact is minimal, I think it would be worth insulating the filters to be safe, remember that the incoming fuel will be cooler than the under bonnet air, so temps won't equilibrise, but will stay lower with sufficient insulation.

Btw, any idea what micron size the standard filter is?
Not that I'm aware, there's no good evidence. Just a guess based on the fact that every car has a filter before injectors and E-gen Ms don't. And for the price, I think it's worth trying.

I think you're right about temperature not equilibrising. I'll wrap the filter in reflexive tape.

About the standard filter, I don't know. But I know it's not restrictive, because it would disturb the pump suction pressure, as well as saturate soon, not being able to be considered by BMW as life-time part. People say that the practice in the racing/automotive world is to use 100-micron filter in pump suction.
Appreciate 0