03-15-2024, 02:48 AM   #12
Mid-EngineEnthusiast
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E92, Porsche 982 GT4

Garage List
2009 BMW M3 E92  [0.00]
981 Cayman S w X73

I've been driving my 2014 981 Cayman S with X73 with 20" Carrera S wheels, PDK, Sport Chrono, K&N filters) since January 2015 and put 106,000 miles on it as my day driver. The low clearance is an issue (I have to go out driveways at an angle), but this is not an insurmountable problem.

I'm fine with the firm ride, and have driven the car between San Diego and San Luis Obispo and Monterey a number of times. It is extremely stable at speed and during cornering. Given the choices you mention, you'd be best off with the X73 car with PDK. It is an excellent day driver, long haul GT car, and canyon-carver.

I plan on selling mine, but I enjoy it so much that it's hard to let it go. I paid $67K, which was a deal on a car with 700 miles that originally cost $77K. Probably could still get $35K for it today.

In April 2023, I finally received the 2023 982 GT4 I ordered from the factory in October 2022. The 982 GT4 is way too soft with the PASM. It did not feel stable at speed. I had the suspension upgraded by True Performance (springs, front and rear links, adjustments), which resolved the handling issues. I'm not sure about upgrading to the Manthey dampers, as the modifications (including adding RS underbody aero, taller rear wing supports, etc.) have the car pretty much perfect now. Probably will wait until the dampers need replacement. PCCB brakes on the GT4 are awesome. I just hope I never break a rotor. Another consideration. If you have PCCBs, you cannot mount 19" wheels. Full PPF was a necessity given the cost of repairing Porsches these days.

I had True Performance build some insulated stainless over-axle pipes and install a JCR valved titanium exhaust. Coupled with sound-proofing deletes to make more space for the roll bar and harnesses, the car booms loudly between 2,000 and 3,000 rpm, but is fine below 2,000 rpm and above 3,000 rpm (where it belongs anyway). If you are thinking of doing the exhaust on any Cayman, I'd advise only going with over axle pipes and retaining the stock exhaust (especially if it's a PSE). You'll get most of the power benefit - without being deafened. During our drive to Rennsport Reunion last year, my wife and I had to wear Bose noise-cancelling headphones to make the drive bearable. An upside is that the full carbon bucket seats are actually very comfortable for long drives (more so than the sport seats in my 981S).

All in, I'm north of $190K on the 982 GT4, which makes a used 2016 981 GT4 look almost inexpensive at around $100K. And compare that to the $240K+ that is being asked for a GT4 RS. If the ADM were more reasonable, I'd have ordered and RS, but when I ordered my GT4, dealers wanted $100-150K over MSRP. Dropping the ADM to $45-65K over MSRP still isn't going to motivate me.

For comparison purposes, I also drive a 2009 M3 E92 with Style 359 wheels, DCT, aftermarket carbon aero, smog-legal aFe intake, smog-legal Dinan tune, underdrive pulley, EDC, gutted factory muffler. stainless brake lines, good brake pads, and Michelin Pilot 4S tires. The M3 handles exceptionally well (albeit not as well as the Caymans). Plus, it's a lot more comfortable and practical as a day driver.

My way of dealing with the cost of gas (the S65 motor gets miserable gas mileage) was to have an E85 Flex Fuel system installed. I still get lousy gas mileage, but at least the fuel is a lot cheaper, and provides an octane boost. It doesn't like starting in cold weather, but once warmed up, runs quite smoothly.

The M3, which I bought on BaT for a bit over $25K including fees, with all the modifications, still came in at under $30K, which is a much better deal in terms of dollars. The car already had it the bearings and throttle actuators replaced, and other than replacing a drive shaft U-joint, it has required nothing other than oil changes. It's at 155K miles, of which about 12K I've put on driving it from MD to PA, NY, CT, MA, ME, OH, and IL before shipping it to CA, where I drive it at least 4 days a week, including on long trips for work.

Personally, the best choice for a day driver is the M3, followed by the 981S X73 PDK, and then the GT4 (which really is not all that practical, even though I have commuted and driven it fairly long distances for work meetings just to keep it in good working order).

JMTC
Appreciate 1
MSYm4116.00