View Single Post
      09-20-2023, 02:48 PM   #1
bmckeeM3
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Convertible

Convertible M3 Dead Battery Conundrum

I have a manual transmission, 2008 M3 Convertible in Juarez Black that I named Jezabel and have owned since new and have put approximately 20,000 miles on. I moved to Denver and put the car in an enclosed car trailer that I own and parked the trailer in a rented storage garage given that my new home did not have enough garage space to keep all of my cars indoors -- and I didn't want this car outside. My intention was to find a permanent/conditioned storage home for the car over the next year so that I could easily get to the car and take it out for a spin now and again. Importantly the car was parked (stupidly upon reflection) with the top down. When I went to the car to fire it up after a few months in the trailer, the battery was dead. Not a big deal, it has happened before. I went home, retrieved my battery tender, went back down and plugged it in. Upon my return visit several weeks later, the battery was still dead...not a sign of life. I figured I didnt have a good connection, played with the clamps, made sure the Tender had power and left again...next return visit, same thing....no sign of life. I then began digging -what next???? I found that using the smaller of my battery tenders, i may not be providing enough juice to recover the dead battery/overcome the draw on the battery from all of the M3 electronics, which are apparently known to kill batteries. Fine, let's replace the battery....which happens to be in the trunk...under the convertible hard top that is neatly folded into the trunk. I slowly begin to recognize just how stupid i was to park the car with the top down. I travel a LOT for work and have limited time, limited auto repair skills and even more limited garage space. My research has yielded that getting to the battery and getting the top up without power is a rather involved process, and one that I cant do outside with any risk of weather. I have checked with a number of area shops to see if there is anywhere I can take the car in the trailer, back the trailer up to a garage and roll the car straight into and inside work bay where it can live until they (an experienced professional can do what needs to be done to get the top up, battery replaced, and now a thorough scouring of the car and all its components given that it has been sitting for a year + without running in an environment that is very dry/low humidity). That search has proven fruitless....everyone thus far has suggested i come unload the car in their lot and they will get to it when they can...that is a non-starter with the top down. I have continued to look for a permanent storage solution where I could unload the car and have time to work on it...or hire someone to come work on it and that has proven equally as challenging. I am scratching my head as I have a beautiful car that I love, want to drive and that I am paying dearly to store. Does anyone have any ideas, thoughts or suggestions relative to mechanics, storage places, or other approaches I should be thinking about to help me get Jezabel back on the road and part of my driving life?
Appreciate 0