07-16-2022, 11:32 AM   #1299
erics02wrx
?
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwankel View Post
I am preparing to go sort my Harrop harness out. My current connections are wrapped in electrical tape, and I have doubts they are soldered. I didn't have tape to replace it if once removed and old electrical tape never goes back on the same way, so I haven't physically seen it yet. My thought is if you didn't take the effort to install heat shrink, you probably didn't solder it either. I have new tape coming tomorrow.

I've been checking the install manual- and I have a couple of questions about the soldering process.

The manual explicitly states to disconnect the connector and de-pin the terminal from the connector for each wire you are working on. I understand the reasoning for disconnecting the connector- you don't want to heat up whatever the connector is connected to.

However, when soldering other things, I haven't gone as far as to de-pin the terminal from the connector on the wire I was soldering, and never really had an issue. Perhaps I should have? I suppose they are worried about the heat from soldering melting the inside of the connector? Or maybe they are just doing that so you can solder without a cut wire cut, and de-pinning is necessary to get the heat shrink on?

My questions are:

Is everybody going all the way with de-pinning the terminals from the connectors before soldering or is this Harrop being extra safe in the instructions? If de-pinning the connectors is not there to protect the connector itself during soldering, and my wire is already cut- then presumably I could skip de-pinning all together.

And lastly if de-pinning the terminals is absolutely the way to go can anybody share some tips/tricks/tools for de-pinning the connectors? (DME and relay) I know the general process, release some secret tab and then the terminal will pull out. Often there is a secret trick or tool required to release the retainer, and I'd like to be prepared before I start.
I just got done installing the wiring for my Harrop SC…

No need to de-pin or cut wires. Use a self adjusting automatic wire striper to cut and spread the wire sheathing on the DME/relay wire exposing the bare wire underneath, then wrap new tap wire around the exposed DME/relay wire, solder and wrap with cloth electrical tape. I have used this process for 20 years without fail. I love heat shrink but de-pinning is not easy for someone that doesn’t have the proper tools and hasn’t done it before, it’s not worth the chance of damaging the pins or connector in my opinion.
Appreciate 2
CamasM3e933224.00
drwankel1073.50