View Single Post
      01-23-2022, 02:14 PM   #3
InnerBlueSkies
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmassey3 View Post
I've got an '08 E92 M3 that I've owned for about 2 years now and it's now just over 80k miles. Unfortunately I think this example was never maintained over it's life and it's taken about $15-$20k just to catch up on maintenance and parts since I've owned it. It's mostly in good shape now, barring a massive washer fluid leak. I've basically mechanically totaled it from my buy in at $19k.

Shotgunning items fixed: rod bearings, leaky DCT, alternator, throttle body actuators, new tires, repaired headliner, pads/rotors/fluids, most trim and under-body panels. It's been expensive and while I can afford it no problem, the frequency of these issues popping up has shaken my confidence in the car and I don't feel like driving it too often. The 80k-150k mile journey has me worried a bit. Overall, it's in really good shape now thankfully.

I could about make even on a new Toyota GR86 with current market rates and that would mean cheaper track days for sure. I think I'm through the worst of it getting this M3 back to health but still on the fence.

I know these questions are always personal to the individual, but I did want to see if anyone else has been thinking about trading in on a cheaper track day car like the GR86 or even going newer to the M4 with better reliability across the board.
I think you will regret it, this is my second M3. I'm in a similar situation and replaced almost everything you mentioned in your list. Miles are about the same. I'd say I have about 7-10k into it (mostly FCP parts with the lifetime warranty), I'd probably walk away with a "profit" of 4-5k, NOW. That's a big probable as you know everything you replaced doesn't mean you costs is then added to the price of your car.

Once the used car markets settles down these prices will creep back into the 24-28k range.

You have a lot into it. What do you think your car is worth?
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6734.50