View Single Post
      01-10-2022, 08:28 AM   #678
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston4 View Post
My intuition here suggests that this is a failure within the Carsara set of components. Everything worked perfectly for my entire drive and when I shut down the car - it wasn't until a few hours later when I went to restart it that all of the symptoms appeared simultaneously. I suppose there's a chance that the cold weather caused some of the wiring components to shift and come unplugged but I'd imagine that that if something were cut or disconnected, the symptoms would have appeared immediately rather than on the next startup.
Your second set of symptoms definitely sounds like a connection issue - if there is a failure along one of the CANBUS lines either from a bad wiring connection or something else it'll propagate across the whole system.

If you park outside in a cold area it's possible some expansion/contraction caused something to get out of whack, but I would also check your battery voltage with a meter to make sure that a low voltage issue isn't causing problems. When my battery started to go it caused all kinds of havoc and codes that all went away once the battery was replaced.

If your voltage is good and the battery being topped off doesn't help, I'd first try just to loosen and pull out the CIC unit and with everything still connected see if it fixes the issue. That might give you a hint if its a pinched or bad connection.

If that fails, then you can try to remove the entire Carsara and see if things go back to normal.

It seems clear the wiring harnesses they used are not the highest grade and others have had similar issues from intermittent connections, so might just need a good jiggle and reseat.