View Single Post
      01-05-2022, 02:51 PM   #56
slcook54
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 MR M3 / 2018 SMB M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRLane View Post
I'm jealous slcook54 Looks like an awesome day!

A couple things to consider as you progress into the faster groups.
1. Don't move out of the way to let someone by. Be aware of them but assuming they're more experienced they'll decide when they're comfortable to pass you. Much of that will depend on gaining a brief understanding of where you're likely to be. This is the whole "be predictable" bit.
2. That said, it's also worth purposely driving off line for a couple laps. I mean way off line. Yes there will be all sorts of junk, but it's helpful to know where you can run wide if needed to avoid something. Also helps to drive home how big the track surface really is. Most tracks can comfortably run 3 wide at considerable pace through every corner.
3. Lastly, as you get into the faster groups there's a tendency to try and be faster. It doesn't work, generally the harder you try at this stage the slower you are. Try and run some laps where you take your mind off the focused driving bit. Maybe wave at every corner worker for a couple laps (I love doing this at the start lf every day), or drive without looking at the dash but just listening to engine, tires, exhaust. Maybe just talk to yourself about breathing deeply. Then find the Miata in the run group and try and hang with them. Don't pass them on straights just try and hang with them through corners. You'll find seconds drop from these exercises.
Great advice. Thanks Devin.