View Single Post
      11-02-2021, 01:39 PM   #11
ProjektAutoScott
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcracin View Post
I've seen lots of damaged blocks bored out. Usually to 94mm for stroker builds.

I wouldn't mess with replacing a sleeve. Rather, get the overbore pistons you referenced. Carbahn usually responds so I'd try them again. I believe they have the most successful track record in working with bmw alusil blocks.
I respect that opinion, but it goes against the purpose of what I am inquiring about. CarBahn wants some serious $$$ to go overbore, couldn't get much more info after calling in again. Currently waiting to hear back from them on options

Again, not looking for perfection here on this old block. Replacing one cylinder with the proper Alusil sleeve is acceptable according to Kolbenschmidt, said sleeve would have the same alusil honed finish as the rest of the cylinders. This would also mean I can retain the factory pistons, and have the other 7 cylinders honed along with the new Alusil sleeve.

After speaking with Millenium Tech again today, they admitted they could do it, and they have the sleeves and equipment but won't do one cylinder. The reasoning I was giving by the first rep was that they aren't set up to price out a single cylinder sleeve of alusil on a v8, and the second rep basically said it's not worth it to them, and would only do 4 cylinders minimum at $4700.

Mind you, this is for alusil sleeves, not iron, not plating, just alusil. Meaning they are willing to chop up 3 good cylinders, compromising the block further, and fill them with liners of the same Alusil material. When asking the first rep about that, he said even if they just do one cylinder (which they can) they will still charge for half a bank. I am sure they do fantastic work, but it seems the automotive side of the shop isn't interested in smaller jobs. Fair enough

Anyway, good news: I found a competent shop in California who will do the work. Great reviews, and a great price. I will send them my block, and if it goes well I will update this thread with their name, and contact info. So far they were very confident in their knowledge of the material, and all of the correct equipment to repair the single cylinder, while honing the other 7 to effectively create a "fresh" engine with matched pistons and new rings.
Appreciate 0