07-04-2021, 03:34 PM   #1
slcook54
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 MR M3 / 2018 SMB M3 CS

slcook54 - Track Journal

Current Setup

Fast Laps

Thunderhill East (Bypass) - 1:58.28 (3/31/2023)

Laguna Seca - 1:42.57 (08/07/2022)

Wheels
Street: BBS E88 18x10 Front, 18x11 Rear. Tires: Michelin PS4S 265/35 Front and 295/30 Rear
Track: BBS RIA 18x10.5 et22, square. Tires: Bridgestone RE71RS 295/30/18 square
Track: Titan7 TS7 18x10 et25, square. Tires: Bridgestone RE71RS 275/35/18 square
Core4 F80 Hubs
Core4 14mm x 94mm pressed in studs
Core4 floating collar lug nuts

Brakes
Front: Essex AP Racing 9668
Rear: Essex AP Racing 9449
Pads: Ferodo DS3.12
Fluid: Castrol SRF
Bimmerworld carbon fiber backing plates with ducting

Suspension & Chassis
TC Design 1/2 Cage
Ohlins 3DM Dedicated Track kit
685/1000 Swift Springs
Bimmerworld solid subframe bushings
Bimmerworld trailing arm bearing set
Bimmerworld rear camber arm bearing kit
Fall-Line rear camber shim kit
Fall-Line race toe link
Fall-Line front sway bar end links
Fall-Line rear sway bar end links
Fall-Line billet aluminum trailing arm set
Hotchkis sway bars
OE Control arms with GAS monoballs
Powerflex urethane front and rear differential bushings
SPL Rear Upper Wishbones/Guide Link Arms
Vorschlag Camber Plates
Bimmerworld Ultralight Wing
Bimmerworld Front Splitter

Engine & Transmission
Karbonius Carbon Fiber Plenum
Dinan Underdrive Pulley
Epic Stage II software
Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust system
BMW Motorcycle power steering catch-can
Do88 radiator
Do88 oil cooler
Do88 power steering cooler
Do88 Transmission Cooler
Fall-Line DCT Main Pan
442 CRT M3 software flash from derbo

Exterior
iND Black front and side grills
Deletion of rear M3 badge
Pinnacle Motorsports undertray
Karbonius carbon fiber mirror covers

Maintenance
Rod Bearings replaced at MRF Engineering
Complete DCT overhaul (RPM / Temp sensor, mechatronics unit, wiring harness)
Complete cooling system overall, hoses, ECT sensor, thermostat water pump and vent hoses

Other
Uniden R7 Radar detector with Blend Mount
Antigravity H6 60 Battery

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

7/1/21 - Track Day #1

As I start tracking my E92 M3, I wanted to log my results and share my experience.

I had my first outing with SpeedSF at Laguna Seca on 7/1/21. It was a ton of fun. My only real goals were to have fun, be safe and bring the car home in one piece. After the first session, I took 5psi out of the fronts and rears and just left it there for the rest of the day, the car performed perfectly. Euro MDM will stay on for the foreseeable future.

Goals, Mindset and Setup

I have two goals getting into this hobby, first, to develop as a driver and second, create a 'set it and forget it' setup. I don't want to immediately toss a ton of mods at the car before exploring the limits of a stock+ setup. With that said, even with fresh Castrol SRF, the pedal was becoming mushy in my third, fourth and fifth sessions, not very confidence inspiring. No need to reinvent the wheel here, I'll toss on an Essex AP setup in the coming months. I personally don't see the cost benefit of chewing up stock rotors with track pads. I also found out 6 months ago that 3 of my stock wheels are bent, they will still balance out, but I'll grab a set of Titan7 TS-7's and pair it with Ohlins TrackDay suspension from 3dm Motorsports. The car will stay on PS4's for now. That will be my arrive and drive setup for the foreseeable future, famous last words, I know.

Aside from seat time, I do plan on investing in coaching up front and on an ongoing basis. I've found coaching immensely helpful in other parts of my life, I don't see why driving should be any different. If anyone has worked with a driving coach in the Bay Area, I'd love to know.

Why Laguna?

I live in San Francisco, and have 3 tracks within reasonable driving distance, Laguna, Sonoma and Thunderhill. I'm choosing to make Laguna my home track for a couple of reasons.

- I love the city of Carmel, I'll likely spend the night before or after and hit some of my favorite restaurants.
- I can run it year round and not worry about temps, with California getting hotter every year and fire season being a real thing, Thunderhill is frequently getting to 110 and Sonoma is 95+, it's just too hot for me personally.
- While I think exposure to a lot of different tracks will ultimately make me a better driver in the long run, I like the idea of minimizing variables and keeping the track constant, I can work on getting my lines and braking points dialed in and focus more on driving.

This hobby is best shared with friends, I've met a lot of friends through this forum and look forward to meeting more of you in the future. Johal E32 , Davisca455 , wyatth , SAMM3Y , derbo

And thank you for so much solid content and contribution dogbone , berns , kyippee , fsmtnbiker, SYT_Shadow

I'll also be posting content to my Instagram: @slcook54

Last edited by slcook54; 04-02-2023 at 11:36 AM..
Appreciate 16
911r907.50
b4hand661.00
tsk941526.00
Davisca4552207.50
roastbeef11593.00
derbo3612.50
SGM_E90173.00
Johal E32163.00
SAMM3Y3086.50
wyatth3553.00
redpriest2147.00