View Single Post
      06-04-2008, 05:52 AM   #61
Irish Bimmer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

The main thing that will make the C63 a better daily driver is that it is offered with only an automatic - most M3's will probably be manuals. The engine in my m coupe delivers it's power pretty much the same way the new M3 does, just less of it - and I've never had an automatic because I've always wanted to have that extra control, until this car.

The characteristics of this engine require you to wring it out to redline to get the most out of it - otherwise it really doesn't feel that great. Which in all honesty, when 2nd gear ends at 74 MPH, you are already over most speed limits, do that in 3rd and now you're at take me to jail speeds. The problem is that any of these cars are crazy fast for the street and that as soon as you get on them you're breaking the speed limit.

However, I now have a greater appreciation for automatics and high torque engines after having this car. This is mostly noticeable when on the highway and wanting to pass someone, or to make an emergency lane change, etc. To do this in the M coupe you have to downshift to build up some revs and wind it out. The C63 has enough power to just stay in gear and use it's torque, or if you need more power you just floor it and it will let you go as fast as possible. No drama at all.

Maybe I'm just getting older, and am now having to deal with daily traffic on my morning and afternoon commutes, or I'm remembering why I liked my old VW GTI over my older Honda Si..... same comparison (GTI = C63 ; Si = M3) in the way they deliver their power. Either way I love my car, but can appreciate the C63 for what it does as well.