View Single Post
      05-01-2021, 11:41 PM   #210
Eja144
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Add mine to the list of cars with this irritating random tick/click noise. Recently did an oil change with Castrol 10W-60 as usual, and almost right after is the first time I heard it. It's not as severe as some of the others I've heard - I mostly only hear it as I start to roll out in first gear or immediately after I put it in neutral and the RPMs drop to near idle. I can get it to happen at idle by very lightly tapping the throttle to get the revs up to 1000 or so, but it's so intermittent and unpredictable. Also as others have noted, only happens when the car is fully warm. Interesting observation - when I drive the car hard, then park and shut it off for enough time for the exhaust to cool, then start it back up, the tick is gone, even after the oil gets back up to temp (which happens more quickly than if I were to start it cold in the morning). The tick then only returns after driving around for a bit. That's kind of making me think it has more to do with engine/exhaust heat than oil heat.

I may try Redline for next oil change. I've never used it before - anyone know what's the best weight to use?
Appreciate 0