Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffyntik View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrippy View Post
This noise is not main bearing or rod bearing period! The next person that diagnoses this as rod knock should be stoned and kicked off the forum! Get that out of your head and move along. 225,000 miles, (2) rod bearing changes and I've had this noise since 25,000 miles and still get it now. Usually new oil does this and hotter days bring it out. Your engine is fine and there is no risk of damage. I believe it to be lifter related or maybe something to do with the oil pickups vibrating? Whomever figures this out will be receiving a care package from me for sure. Other than it sounding like a piece of shit there is no damage occurring. Sometimes the vanos bleed procedure helps quiet it.
Thank you. I’ve looked all the videos ( I think all) on the internet and I’ve heard so bad sound, so mine after that is nothing. The car came from a friend of mine and his mechanic said this sound was long time ago and he couldnt figure out what was that.
And here is the video with revving the engine to about 3k

Forgot to mention - rod bearings were done about 2k ago.
So this video is different than the one I commented on. The other one was a tick. This actually does have a thump to it. I would look at my belts, pulleys and idlers first. I would also spin my alt, PS and water pump by hand with the belts removed to see if any of them has a failed bearing. Lastly I would look at motor mounts. There could be a rocking with worn mounts creating that knock. If none of those I actually would consider internal issues like RB's. The thing is you wouldn't be able to run that motor very long if it were RB's. Every stroke gets worse until failure and it doesn't take long at all.