View Single Post
      05-14-2008, 09:36 PM   #8
JEllis
Major General
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by trah23 View Post
Is this true, because if it is bmw fucked up big time, your paying over 65k for an M3, when a dude who payed like 44k is just as fast?!?!?!?!!?

Am i missin something here?

This is rediculous if true, i freakin put down a deposit (only 1K however) but the damn car isnt even faster than 335i
Here is the reality. The simple answer is "YES" a chipped 335i can be as fast as an M3 in a straight line.

The reality is that the chip also brings with it a voided warrenty (if your honest), frequent limp modes (check out the FI section of E90post.com), and questionable reliability over the life of the car. And, you are still left with a car that looks like the other 200,000+ 335i's and 328's (I guess some would like that).

To make a 335i on par with an M3 (in my opinion)...You would need to go the Dinan software route ($2000) which requires the Dinan oil cooler ($2000) but comes with Dinans engine warrenty. However, the Dinan tune is a milder tune and the car would still struggle to keep up with the M3 so you would need the stage 2 which includes an Intercooler (another $2000) and the exhaust (another 1-2K) as well as the install costs (probably $500 at this point). Then to have a unique looking 335 you would at least need the Aero kit ($2000?). After that you have to consider the fact that the 335i still wont keep up with the M3 at the track but a new coilover suspension ($2000) might help with that. Then, at the very least, you would need to switch from run flats to a real performance tire ($1500).... in the end I figured I would have spent at least $12,000 on upgrades alone and that doesnt include aftermarket wheels an LSD or any paint work that might be required. So basically I would have spent at least 62K (give or take a few K) on my ideal 335i. I am telling you all this because I struggled with the 335i vs. M3 argument. I have also driven both, the M3 is far and away a different car.

In the end I figure I get all the speed of a chipped 335i with better handling and more aggresive looks, along with a full warrenty and factory reliability for what amounts to a small premium over a fully modded 335i.

And, dont forget, if you just want a fast car, buy an 89 Mustang 5.0 and put a supercharger on it.

Jason