View Single Post
      09-09-2020, 09:52 PM   #463
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Prep for HPDE

My loving wife knew I was looking to improve my data acquisition at HPDE events. She did the research and ended up buying an Aim Solo DL for my birthday! She grabbed me a CANBUS one which was exactly what I wanted! Installation wasn't too bad. At the fusebox behind the glove, there is a CANBUS+ and CANBUS- to tap the two wires into. I tapped fuse #5 for power and grounded the ground to the chassis. Can't thank her enough! Love her

I also want to thank all those in the track chit-chat thread for the mounting suggestions! The final mounting position is now the left of the cluster. I'll look into purchasing a ProClip to mount the Aim Solo in near the center vent in the future but this will do for now!

For the main page, I decided to have the following parameters: Rolling Session Time, Predictive Time, Engine Coolant Temp, Engine Oil Temp. This seemed to be the most critical information I could glance at during the sessions. I configured other pages for the drive up but this 4 parameter page felt the best for me.

I also swapped over to DTC60 pads on the ST60 and stock rear pads.

Time for a trackday!

Thunderhill HPDE!

This past weekend marked the first track day of the 2020! Nature didn't want to get beat by COVID so it added a few fires in August too! The closest fire to Thunderhill was not far away and developed a poor air quality index of 200+ for the Saturday. Paired this with 100F+ weather, it was not a recipe for great lap-times.

Long time friend Stephen tagged along in his Imola Red E46 ZHP with my wife's F87 M2 and my E90 M3. It was good to be back!

The dark drive didn't show how smokey it was until the sun broke through after sunrise.

# Media Setup
For video/audio, I used a GoPro Hero5 with an external mic attached to the rear bumper.
For data, my new AIM Solo2 DL.
Race Render Pro for compiling the videos with overlays.

# Laptimes
I am impressed with what a Pilot Sport 4S can do! The tire held very well for a 300 treadwear tire. They were very predictable at the limit. I was able to hit a 2:05.80 but I am believe I can clean that up with a little more seat time!

# Impressions
The car is in a very good spot now. I think with 200TW tires and adding Schroth quickfit Pro Harness, I will be in a very good spot to chase that 2 minute mark. The DTC60 brakes were solid and PS4S faded before I could reach the limit of the brakes. I am now itching for 4.10 final drive and some solid rear bits......

Media

Here are some of my favorite pics from the Official Photographer at the event

"Aftermath

I knew painted Stoptechs tend to discolor but I didn't expect it to happen on the 1st HPDE outing! I guess 100F+ temps would do that! Oh well!

For whatever reason, there seemed to be more rubber marbles hitting my car this time around. There were a ton all over the front end and all over the sides. A friend of mine referred me to Mother's Racing Rubber Remover. That stuff is magic! One smooth wipe and the rubber marks were gone!

The clean car was short-lived as the car is now covered in ash from the California fires.

## DSC lights!!

On the way home, car lit up like a christmas tree on the freeway. By the end of the weekend, I confirmed the issue was a faulty rear wheel sensor. I ordered a new one from FCP and it should be here soon. I'm just glad it wasn't anything bigger!

That's it for this post.
Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
SF Bay Area: DM For coding services
Appreciate 10
911r907.50
XKxRome0ox1590.00
_paolo189.50
wyatth3554.50
//steve\\1074.00
Space Fox1042.00
94jedi832.00