View Single Post
      07-28-2020, 01:41 PM   #328
srey
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i 6mt

My beater is a 1995 Ford F150. It cost me $1500 and I've put about $1000 in repairs and tires in the four years I've owned. 225k miles on it. I drive it from mid-November until whenever I get whatever project I'm doing on my n54 335i done. I'm looking to replace it with a Land Rover LR3 or LR4 before this winter, though. I want something that can carry more people and still allow us to go on off-roading adventures, which are plentiful where I live in Idaho.

I'm a strong believer in a couple of principles for multiple car ownership.

1) If you have a project car or a model known for unreliability, you should have a second vehicle to drive while your project is on jack stands or in the shop.

2) If you're going to own multiple vehicles they should have different utilities from each other. A truck is awesome because you can haul stuff when you need to. A minivan or three row SUV is awesome if you have kids. A sports car is awesome because sports car. You get the point. I don't see the point in owning a midsize crossover and a sedan. If I needed a do-it-all vehicle it would be different, but if you're going to own multiples they should have more focused uses, IMO.
Appreciate 0