United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
Example 1:

If I am too abrupt with the throttle, especially at corner exit, the car can easily spin without DSC/MDM. A good driver can usually catch it or know the car's limits well enough to get back to full throttle when grip allows.

With DSC/MDM engaged, the car will simply cut the power and you don't need to come off the gas or countersteer. This only reinforces said bad habit. It's twice as bad if the light doesn't flash or the intervention is subtle, because you think the car has more grip than it really does. If I tell that person to turn DSC/MDM off, they'll probably end up facing the wrong direction at the exit curbing.

Example 2:

If I am entering a corner too fast, I might miss the apex or resort to an overly-aggressive trailbrake that causes the rear to come around. Best case I brake a little harder and maybe scrub too much speed, and immediately realize my mistake for the next time around.

With DSC/MDM engaged, the car detects yaw and will quickly drag one of the brakes or maybe even cut power a little bit to tuck the nose in. While no driver can brake an individual wheel (obviously), this only reinforces in your mind how fast you THINK you can take that corner. Again, if I tell that person to turn off DSC/MDM, they'll understeer right past the apex and totally ruin the lap time.
I usually tell students in normal front-engine rear-drive cars to disable the stability/traction control precisely to avoid them getting used to mashing the throttle leaving an apex while still pinching the wheel without reaping the consequences.

So many students are still closing the steering wheel and have transitioned to WOT. MDM/etc cuts throttle and selectively applies brakes while they are doing this, preventing the spin
Alternatively, asked the student to drive without the traction control indicator lights up. And keep the electronic on.

Tough love here can be very expansive for your student
Appreciate 0