View Single Post
      05-05-2020, 10:16 PM   #1
neilum
Captain
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3

Ohlins R&T review

Just came to post and share my excitement after getting these bad boys installed.

View post on imgur.com

The ZCP suspension in my opinion is a little floaty and not as tight as I wanted the car to be so it was time. I also am not a fan of switching settings based on whether my wife is with me, or what road I am on, or what mood I am in. its not my thing. I wanted a flexible suspension that has variable and dynamic behavior all built into it without changing any settings. I also wanted the car to be more responsive, with better turn in and sharper reflexes. So, off to ACM she went.

Refinement -

Somehow the car is more comfortable and refined 95% of the time compared to stock. I'd say the experience sits between all of the ranges and settings of the stock ZCP EDC suspension depending on the road. When you are on smooth pavement, it feels like comfort. On a road with mild imperfections however it feels like the normal setting, but on uneven roads it still crashes a bit like the stock sport setting. I hated that about the OEM ZCP suspension, where in sport the car just crashes over bumps and is unbearable around the tri-state area roads. It doesn't crash quite as hard as sport now, but its close. Not unbearable but that is the only time I feel like I have an aftermarket coil over suspension. Every other time its a positive in this department which is remarkable.

Performance -

The entire car just went up a notch or two in terms of capability. The weight transfer during cornering is significantly improved. The car just takes a seat, plants and hunkers down. It's very predictable and fun to have a much better "handle" on weight transfer as the car transitions in and out of corners. I find myself going faster everywhere because it just feels more eager and planted.

It's not just cornering though, braking and acceleration is improved as well. It takes off smoother and puts the power down better because it does a much better job of managing weight for every motion and G force placed on the car.

Driving around now feels like the car may be overkill for the street in terms of handling and probably would be best enjoyed on a track but I guess that's the point!

These aren't cheap but you get what you pay for. Super impressed. I can feel however that the springs are a little soft and I don't think these would be a great fit if you are a track junky. I think that use case misses the boat here.

Anyway, one of my favorite things about this platform is the progressive nature of the car and how approachable the performance is. The Ohlins just dialed all that up, it feels like I can very easily just dial up or down my steering and throttle inputs to go faster. These coil over system fits the character of the car very well.

It sits about the same as the ZCP suspension did. I have to go back to ACM for an alignment and maybe dial up the aggressiveness a click or two but won't change the ride height.

If you have $3200 burning a hole in your pocket (all in including install) I think you can't miss.

View post on imgur.com

Last edited by neilum; 05-05-2020 at 10:22 PM..
Appreciate 1
//steve\\1074.00