View Single Post
      03-18-2020, 11:53 AM  
youbarajs
Private
Singapore
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 sedan, BMW 328i

Solution: KCAN fault after installation - CIC Joyeauto Carplay

As discussed in this post if you are getting KCAN fault you can try following solution.

Please try this at your own risk.

Following were my car specs and fault code details.

BMW-E90 LCI with CIC and Combox media

Joyeauto Carplay for CIC with aftermarket joyeauto reverse camera and dvr system (front and back)

Fault Code Details after CARPLAY installation
Primary Fault - This error would stay as long as the carplay is installed as oppose to other intermittent fault codes

00E2C4 - CON- K-CAN Line fault

Secondary Fault - These errors would appear randomly while driving. The visual sign was DTC/DSC deactivation symbol would appear on the screen, temper protection dot would appear on the KOMBI (odometer cluster).

00E2D6 - Message (kilometre reading, 0x330) faulty, receiver CON, transmitter KOMBI
00E2D4 - Message (terminal status, 0x130) faulty, receiver CON, transmitter Car Access System

Visually it would look something like shown in the pic.

Error explanation to the best of my knowledge.
System detects KCAN fault on the controller module (CON)-which is nothing but your Idrive knob module. As KCAN line connects other modules like KOMBI and CAS (Odometer Cluster and Car Access Control), it starts throwing out random error, as it thinks that there is KCAN fault and it cannot send information. Also as CAS (car access system) module needs to sync with KOMBI (EEPROM) and Car Key to sync the Odometer reading through the KCAN line, failure to do so, will result in tamper dot, which generally signifies that mileage data in CAS doesn't match with the one in KOMBI or Car Key.

When I removed the CARPLAY everything was back to normal and there was no fault code.

So what is causing this error - again to the best of my knowledge (and some help from experts in other forums)
KCAN in BMW E90 works on a certain voltage range.
During idle KCAN High and KCAN Low both are at 2.5 V
During engage KCAN High goes to 3.75 V and KCAN Low to 1.25 V
Any deviation from these values (and certain error percentage built in), system registers a fault in a particular module. I used multi meter to measure the KCAN voltage with and without CARPLAY, with CARPLAY KCAN high was around 12 V and KCAN low was fixed at 1.25 V, so the problem was with KCAN High resulting in CON module KCAN line fault.

Solution: What all you need
1. Upgrade your MCU to the latest version - Jan 19 2020 (get the file here, how to?)
2. Upgrade your SDK to the latest version - 25.0.0.4.0.0.12.4 (get the file here, how to?)

These upgrades are expected to solve this problem, but unfortunately for me it did not. For the next steps you would need the following tools as well as some coding knowledge using NCSEXPERT (specific to E series)

3. You would need BMW Standard tools (get the file here)
4. You would also need K+DCAN connector or if you prefer ICOM to code your Car (costly affair)
5. Using NCSExpert (learn here) you need to get the trace file for ZBE module (same as CON module) and change the following line as highlighted below (refer picture also). Post that you can use "SGCODERIN" command to load the new .MAN file and you will be good to go.

Change this
PHP Code:
U_MIN_FS_Z
anlieferzustand
wert_01 
to this
PHP Code:
wert_02 
and also change this
PHP Code:
U_MAX_FS_Z
anlieferzustand
wert_01 
to this
PHP Code:
wert_02 
This should do the trick, at least for me it has worked like a charm and no error (permanent or intermittent) for last 4 days. Other forum members can test this and report back if this actually solves the problem. I will update the post accordingly basis any further observations or outcomes.
Attached Images