View Single Post
      03-09-2020, 11:50 AM   #53
gills
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 race car, E30 S54 swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderMoose View Post
I guess I still don't understand why I don't hear about the number of stud failures on E46 chassis that I see on this forum. I am around guys that are racing hard on slicks with aero pounding curbs at tracks like WGI and rarely have any issues.

WGI is actually very smooth relative to other tracks. Also, session duration seems to be a factor. Shorter sessions have less incidents, although it still does happen.

Personally, I've experienced 2 or 3 E46's that have broken wheel studs in AER race weekends. One of them breaking 14mm thread-in studs on the left rear using Rogue's drill jig kit. We're limited to 200TW tires in AER also.

As I've said before, an assembled "wheel joint" has pretty large safety factor so these things don't happen more than they do, but they happen more with thread-in/screw-in stud cars than they do press-in stud cars.

I forgot to mention that the E9x M data I have seems to favor the fronts failing. My intuition says this is the extra weight that is being dealt with that can be overcoming the friction interface of the wheel-rotor-hub and putting 100% of the bending stress on the studs once that happens. The fracture face of the studs in these cases still show bending fatigue failure.