United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT Space/Black

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2007 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lE92l View Post
I had the same thing happen to my 2009 E92 M3. This thread helped guide me on what to do. THANKS TO THE OP

Unfortunately it sits outside for most of its life. I had it under bmw car cover, xpel clear bra on roof, and ceramic coating on xpel. Still with all that the gel coat failed. The good news is I was able to save it. I think my saving grace was the xpel. The clear started to bubble under the xpel. When I started to peal off the xpel the gel coat came off with it.

I got lucky and literally all of the gel coat came off with the xpel. Just came out like in sheets.

I then had a body shop just spray clear over it with the OPs instructions.

[B]At body shop before they started to work on it. Lines on roof are just from the blue tape I put on it for trip there.
Awesome efforts with great results! I am amazed at how the layers just come off like that. when the gel-coat/clearcoat came off, did that take off most of the yellowness with it? I would have thought that most of the yellow would be embedded between the weaves of the carbon fabric, but from the looks of the layers you pulled off, its mostly in the clear coat/gel coat.

GM
Appreciate 0