United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
2014 Land Rover LR4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FitzgJ74 View Post
I agree with you here, I believe the RB issue has been blown out of proportion and is now a money making scam by side street mechanics. Rule number one, stay away from anything that's had a supercharger mod - it causes uneven wear on bearing no. 1. The aftermarket bearings everyone is using have not been tested by BMW. Also remember to use premium gas, I think a lot of ppl out there use regular and worry about the consequences later...

Buy the manual, I took mine around the block yesterday (waiting for title) to give her a run out - the MT is so much more fun and engaging, yeah you might lose a few seconds on the track, but it's REAL driving.
Huh? To all of this.

1. Most every aftermarket part in existence has not been tested by BMW. That does not mean it was not tested by competent (and in some cases, superior) engineers. Wouldn't one be able to argue the BMW engineers screwed up here? BMW is not infallible. This is not their first blunder. People are pulling 50k mile BE bearings out of cars looking like they just got pulled out of the packaging. Not one single person has opened an S65 to find PERFECT OEM bearings (although some are better than others). These are not wear items. BMW screwed up. Not replacing is a gamble, you might get lucky, many do. Many dont.

That said, the rod bearing thing is a "drive at your own risk" vs "spend money at your own risk" type thing. It's up to every individual to assess the level of risk their comfortable with against the amount of money they're comfortable spending.

If you think this is a side street mechanic scam, you're way more cynical than me (which is hard to believe). Plus, I don't know any side-street mechanics doing RB jobs on S65s.

2. Manual vs DCT... ugh. This has been done... not going to touch it. Should have tried driving a DCT car... I'm a save the manuals guy, but I couldn't ignore how damn good this transmission is. It's nothing like driving an auto (unless you put it in grandma mode D/1-2). Overall this is obviously subjective and I personally like manual better, but the proper transmission for this engine is the DCT. It was designed that way for a reason.

3. You think people put regular unleaded in these cars? Really? You think the typical M owner is putting 87 octane in their car? Come on.

Even so... how on earth does that affect the rod bearings?

OP- I agree with the sentiment it might not be the right time. However, take advice cautiously. Being cautious, in general, is the way to shop and maintain these cars, period.

Edited: removed something ("buy the manual" I thought the guy was saying to buy the owner's manual)
Not Sure223.00
MRAT3D57.00
wfdeacon881105.00