rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

[Last Update]
I think everyone is tired if this thread
So it is about time to close it up.

Today was my last 2018 track day. Unless miracle happens , and global warming will keep either Lime Rock or NYST open in Oct.

It was a raining day and only few of us showed up for an open track day. No sessions. Just drive. In the rain. All day.

So on to the stats:
NYST
Length – 2.1 miles
Turns – 18
Elevation Change – 450 feet
Hills/Drops – 7

Today I did 77 laps, 162 miles. about 18 gallons of 93 gas.

Lap time ranged from 2:10 early on to mostly 1:55 in pouring rain.

I kept the MDM on. My goal was to go as fast as I can without activating the traction control. The challenge was that going in the rain every lap is different. The rain is not coming down uniformly and NYST has very good drainage. This is why EVERY turn is either on camber or off camber depends on where you are on the turn. So water pools in different places and depending on how hard it happen to rain that 2 minutes.

I loved the uninterrupted concentration. The 15/20 minutes sessions are just too short for getting in the groove.

Toward the end, we got some break from the constant rain, so while the track was not dry, at least it was drained.

Yes, there was suspension tweak, or should I say, luck of tweaks (almost)

I have heard that in the rain you want softer suspension. So I left the road settings along. I typically adjust the rear and front one shaft click stiffer.

Well, as I said we got a break from the constant rain and i started to go faster and the car did not feel right. I stopped at pit lane and clicked the rear one shaft stiffer. I left the front along.

So much better. I wish I just did it from the beginning.

Attached is my last 30 minutes. It started to rain again but once I was on 1:55 pace, I did not want to go back to 2:00 pace. The adjusted rear was the key to feel confident.
pic of Times and the E46 i became friendly with.
Please note the blue skies. We have just came back from refueling and got a sunny skies for 5 minutes before the next band of clouds and rain started again.
And one more time, thanks for all who bother to read, made suggestions, schooled me on my lunacy, called me typical new driver, hated my modification choices, and made suggestion that I should have gotten X and not Y. I sincerely appreciate all the comments. This is why we have so many flavors of ice cream. So we can select the exact flavor we prefer, AND we can pontificate why our flavor is the best and the other flavor is just NOT the right choice. :-)
As for me, I just like plain Vanilla.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
gmx166.00