United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
2014 Land Rover LR4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOF-M3 View Post
I just re read the end of that. The shop said to go with OEM bearings? This is frowned upon in M3post but what was the reasoning from the shop?
Alright- so I thought about this a bit more after I posted it the other day. When the shop told me this, it sounded good, but the more i thought about it the more I wasn't really able to justify it.

They said if there is an issue with the rod bearings using genuine OEM BMW parts, they have some sort of warranty against defects. I guess this shop is some sort of authorized BMW shop. Basically- if the part fails (not normal wear/tear) but if, say, after a couple thousand miles one of the bearings fails because of a defect, BMW is liable to fix the car, in this case likely having to replace the engine because of a faulty part.

After I thought about it for a while and poking around the forums, I couldn't find anything about a new bearing simply failing. It would seem I'd be better taking my chances with the improved aftermarket part so I'm not questioning the integrity of the bearings again in 20k miles.

They did say I was welcome to purchase aftermarket bearings and they'll put those in, so I'd didn't really question their motive for pushing OEM at the time, except for the fact they're marking the price up from what they can be bought for on FCP Euro by $7.11 per for a total of $113.76 markup.