07-18-2018, 02:46 PM   #33
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwfst1 View Post
you could keep the car. the insurance will give you slightly less money but you could sell your mods and the engine and transmission and come out ahead.
i did this with an e36 m3 that was total loss. i took 500 less kept the car and made an additional 3500.

Everyone parrots this idea but in practical terms it's going to be a nightmare unless you have a lot of garage space, huge array of tools (such as an engine hoist), and the time/patience to disassemble. Then there's the issue of disposing of the "leftovers", e.g. all the body panels, subframe, and whatever else you couldn't sell.

Sure, if time and money were no object, keep it and part it out. But we all have jobs, families, and lives to live so the proposition tends to fall apart once you look at the logistics involved.

My advice would be to talk to your own insurance agent and explain the situation around the unusual combination/rarity of that. Ask them how to proceed to ensure you don't get completely dicked by the other guy's insurance on valuation.