Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 6MT

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theodore View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ham_sammich View Post
It's interesting to see this thread. Out of the hundreds of cars I've serviced, I've never seen color coded drive shaft flange hardware. Neither has a vibration occurred from not putting the hardware back exactly where it comes from. I'm gonna keep my eye out for this from now on.
Searching through RealOEM it looks like these green and black bolts are only used on the E9X M3 and 1M models. My 2011.5 has no black bolts and 1 green bolt. Out of curiosity, when you talk about having not seen these colored bolts in 50+ driveshaft/diff removals, are you referencing all of the different model BMW's you've worked on or specifically 50+ E9X M3 driveshaft/diff removals?
I was including the E46 M3 diff services I had completed with the E9x M3's. Since both use the same driveshaft flange hardware.

Seeing how it's only the E9x and E82 M3 and 1M driveshafts, that limits my sample pool to 20-25 removals and installs. Including my personal M3.

That said I still haven't noticed these bolts and even if I missed a random colored bolt, I've never induced added drivetrain vibrations by putting the bolt in the wrong location. If I even did.