View Single Post
      09-10-2017, 07:51 PM   #33
jdub486
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19' M2C dct/ e90 335d dd

@ Phoenix BMW Life: Newer factory bearings (2010.5 and later) are made from tin-aluminum, not lead-copper. Tin-aluminum bearings are 4-times harder on the surface than lead-copper bearings. This extra hardness shows signs of doing more damage to motors as there seems to be more bearing failures with 2010.5 and later vehicles. Tin-aluminum bearings also don't show the same signs of premature wear in Blackstone oil analysis due to lack of lead and copper.

That being said, I am happy to complete an oil analysis for an interested buyer as it's fairly inexpensive. I just don't fear a 30k mile s65 engine blowing up. Especially with 6 or so OEM oil changes on record, I think BMW NA would step up. That being said, I agree that there is a rod bearing issue on a small percentage of s65's, probably from the lottery of OEM bearing clearance and overly tight design.

I will also mention that I spent all day yesterday looking at local private sale M cars. X5 M's, m5's and m3's. All were advertised as excellent condition. None of them met my definition of excellent, not even very good, despite being enthusiast owned. This car will not disappoint.

I agree that Space Gray/ Fox Red is not rare. It's a popular combo for good reason. However, I've been watching for months and there is a shortage of these at the moment. It also took me 7 months with a 250 mile radius in 2015 to find this one. I'd get excited and then notice a sunroof, etc. that I didn't want.

Interest has picked up and I have 3 interested folks! Thanks!
Appreciate 0