07-21-2017, 11:58 AM   #6
ppatel14
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' E92 AW ZCP 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by redvitesse View Post
Thanks for your reply but you may have missed a few points. I noted previously this is marketed as a sun reproduction light for use in body shops for color matching but it excels for my intended use of spotting paint imperfections when doing detailing/paint correction indoors.

Much like the more expensive products that are dual marketed for both correction and color matching such as the 3M Sungun, Brickman swirlfinder, and Scangrip Sunmatch (which this product copies) this can be used for paint correction. I have used the Brickman and the Flex light and this product is better for the price in my opinion given the features.

As far as pulling the car into the sun, as most professional detailers and experienced hobbyist know, using proper prep, technique, products, and working super clean is the way to a near perfect show quality finish.

Pulling a car out into the sun every 15 minutes to check your progress when correcting paint is not only impractical but would possibly allow contaminants to settle onto the paint that could be introduced into the polishing pad so not super clean.

Also sorry to disagree, but using proper lighting that highlights imperfections to a greater degree than the sun alone, is what ensures the best finish to show when out in the sun. That being said, do you need a hand held swirl finder light as a weekend warrior? Probably not, as a good $25 halogen work light will get the job done but if you pull out the orbital more than once a year it is useful.

I learned to detail in the 80's back when all we had were rotary polishers that seemed to weigh 20 pounds, micro fiber cloth was in its infancy, and it was called cutting and buffing not paint correction
Thanks for the review as I've had my eye on it for sometime now but haven't pulled the trigger due to how it would do on various colors. Do you have any thoughts on the Astro Pneumatic 200SL compared to the 50SL?

2013 E92 ZCP /// Alpine stage 2 tune, Bomiz Race X-Pipe, ARC-8 wheels, Vorshlag camber plates, Wheel studs, TMS spacers F15mm/R12.5mm, Stoptech SS lines, BW brass caliper guide

Last edited by ppatel14; 07-21-2017 at 12:16 PM..
Appreciate 0