View Single Post
      07-01-2017, 03:53 AM   #689
ohhgourami
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer20 View Post
well it seems even after replacing the gears preventatively, my electronics have appeared to have gone bad. I haven't taken it apart yet but man i really thought I had the mechanical side of the actuator pretty well refreshed from my previous rebuilds.

Being the curious type and since now I am overly committed to fixing these actuators myself after replacing gears, bearings and rebuilding them about 3 times each.....I just ordered like 6 different ICs to replace on my circuit board in my code throwing actuator.

I am going to inspect my linkages too... even though I have lubed them twice with 3M spray in the last year. I had a odometer gear crack after the last time I lubed them so I got a little shy on lubing them and it's probably been 6 months since now. I really haven't put that many miles on since.

I let you guys now how it goes.... I was really hoping fresh gears would extend the actuator life 10-20k miles at least. I think it's only been 7k miles max since I changed the gears and I had to crack them open twice in that time. Once from that gear cracking after lubing linkages and once to change the bearings. I had sprayed the silicone on the actuator shaft during reassembly and it gummed up the bearings. I suppose it's possible the bearing is gummed up again. Apparently it's impossible to completely remove silicone from metal from what I read. I had cleaned it with isopropyl alcohol as best I could.
Silicone lube tends to gum up. I last time I was cleaning and lubing the linkages I used a Teflon dry lube which I know doesn't gum up and dust won't stick. I plan to go back in again to check. I think I also put a few drops of gun oil on some places too. Improved the feel of the linkages but there was still a squeaky somewhere but I was tired after replacing the TVAsand wanted to be done.
Appreciate 0