04-27-2017, 01:09 PM   #40
blue flowers
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
blue flowers, we fundamentally agree

I'm not really concerned with the risk of popping a trans in a E9X. It's a lot likelier for something to die in a frankenstein from 1995 than in a 2008+ M3.

I'm concerned with this thread because one thing is people who have, say, a hundred track days under their belt and they are buying a Spec Miata or stripped out E46M than OP. OP states he is just beginning. The wear and tear on his 'nice' car is almost zero.

A dedicated track car will almost surely run race suspension and sticky tires. That is not the best thing to learn how to drive on the track.
I do agree with you completely to avoid a heavily modified "Frankenstein" car, no matter how cool it is, for track purposes. You won't even be able to have fun in it and will more than likely end up chasing problem after problem.

I do however think a C5 Z or E36 M3, even in nearly stock configuration, provide a better (more reliable/robust) all around package to drive on street and track than an E90 M3 (assuming you're doing more than 10 track events a year).
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11511.00