View Single Post
      01-25-2008, 07:30 AM   #86
sdiver68
Expert Road Racer
Rep
Drives: 07 335i e90, 09 335i e93

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
  • I have never seen a 335 reported test weight anything near that light. Basecd on a 3571 quoted US weight do you really think the car weighs about 3350?
  • Next, with the mods above you will have more torque but can you please show me the Vishnu package that offers hp > 414?
  • All 335i since early in their production cycle have welded in diffs. Please clarify the cost for cutting out the welded in diff in the car. Good luck accelrating out of corners anywhere as fast as the M3 without the diff.
  • Have you read the actual reported weights of the M3s that have been tested. You won't have a car 250 lb lighter than an M3 with the above scenario nor a power to weight ratio that will match the M3.
  • DCT is an ace in the hole for straight line acceleration and track work.
  • With all of that work and likely some more labor you missed you have a car close very close in performance to the M3 at about the same base price (M-DCT not included). Heck get a stripper sedan and it would be a wash in price.
  • Good luck on warranty and resale on the hypothetical car above
About weight, do you think I quoted that weight without several points of reference? You know swamp, that I've been on the e90 335i forum almost daily for the last year and 1/2, do I really need to link again to proof?

True on the welded diffs, thankfully mine does not have it. With very much more track experience than you, I think I know the penalty of LSD versus not LSD. Cayman's don't have LSD but they still get around a track pretty well. LSD is most useful in auto-X, where very tight low speed corners put a premium on rear wheel traction. Regardless, if you want a LSD you can get one. I will say this to concede 1/2 a point to you, the differential is still my weakest argument. BMW knows this, which is why they went the Porsche Cayman route of actively making it hard on people to fix that issue.

DCT may or may not be better than the ZF Step. I hope it is. For the track only, it almost certainly is. I say this based on some Audi DCT reports that the ZF is better than Audi DCT.

No, I did not miss any labor work. I'm a far less than average mechanic and can do some work myself, I assume anyone can do what I can in the mechanics department. I do still have some connections from my racing days, perhaps the quotes I get for labor are much better than anyone else?

Resale is not an issue. If you flog either car repeatedly, both will suffer. If you don't and take care of it, all of those items except the differential are easy to put back to stock and regain at least 1/3rd to 1/2 value in resale. The ED price will more than make up for anything else.

About HP, I'll concede another point, the thread here:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107526

The guy has 371 hub HP at 94% settings on Procede 2.02, but he does have catless downpipes from ultimate racing. So add another $650 to the base price, but since we are now splitting hairs I want to compute the difference in sales, property, gas guzzler, and/or registration taxes. Also, add the differences in gas and insurance over some period of time and miles OH, and I overestimated the Procede now that the price has been lowered by about $300.

Last edited by sdiver68; 01-25-2008 at 08:03 AM..
Appreciate 0