Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dphjr View Post
Here are a couple uneditied photos.
View post on imgur.com

Definitely not bad by any means. At least on my computer I found that zooming to 100% I could already start to see some pixelation. Also the colors look really washed out to me, which is odd since it was a bright and sunny day. For comparison here is my friend's d5100 shot using mostly the same settings as mine. The colors look much sharper and it isn't nearly as pixelated.

View post on imgur.com
Sorry that I'm late to the thread, but your subject has HUGE dynamic range, beyond the capacity of most sensors today. As a result, the car is underexposed and so is the general scene. Most new photographers would not realize that and new photographers do not shoot in Raw, so that they can lower highlights and raise shadows in Raw conversion.

Unless you're already a wiz at PS, use Lightroom instead. The user interface is designed for those that don't necessarily use it every day. It's intuitive and VERY powerful.

Some might have used multi-shot HDR to capture that dynamic range, but you can also bring the exposure down so it doesn't blow out the white and then raise the white in Raw conversion. The newer Nikon sensors are very tolerant of raising shadows and highlight without adding noise. With either Canon or Nikon or Sony, you'd shoot at ISO 100 for that scene.

Now is a good time to move up to a newer generation of sensor. Huge progress has been realized in the last generation or two, with all makers.

Nikon excels at low ISOs and Canon is better at the higher ISOs needed for wildlife and sport. Both are only slight compromises, so either gets the job done, particularly for those shooting in Raw.

Full-frame vs. crop-sensor is not of great importance today. If a lot of your shooting will be focal-length limited and you'll still crop, even when using 700mm or more (birds and wildlife) then get a crop sensor. If you're not going to do birds and cars and landscapes will be you primary subjects, then get a full-frame, budget permitting, of course.

Dave