View Single Post
      04-06-2016, 07:19 AM   #2
Blindside_137
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 SSII E90 M3 ZCP

This really is the main issue that comes up with each new M. The previous was more a more visceral and "raw" experience, but the successor is superior in just about every way.

I for one am glad that the competition has really advanced. I think BMW knows people have a lot of issues with the sound of the M4, which is already being addressed with the ZCP (and I think next gen around 2022 will be their best attempt at exhaust tuning). But for the money (keeping options low) the M3/M4 is one heck of a car that BMW delivered. It addressed virtually everything that people knocked the E92 M3 on.

In a different world I am positive BMW would have stuck another S65 with more power in the F82 if emissions regulations would allow. That would be a fantastic car, but times are changing. And part of that history, or "end of the NA era," is why the E92 is regarded so highly.

Then as far as the other models go. We are in a new age driven by technology. People don't want a car that is fun to drive, they want wi-fi, self parking, auto-braking, lane assist etc... If BMW were to only focus on enthusiasts, they would go out of business. So they have done a fine job, in my opinion, of trying to maintain the balance of a driver focused vehicle with all the creature comforts the masses have come to expect from a car in the 50k range. The more BMW can profit from these cars, the more they can put into testing for M and i divisions. So it all comes full circle. So when it comes to the newer BMW models across the board, I have more blame placed on the environmental restrictions and our tech focused industry than I do for BMW. At the end of the day they are in the business to make money.

Last edited by Blindside_137; 04-06-2016 at 05:06 PM..
Appreciate 3