View Single Post
      01-13-2016, 12:59 AM   #69
OM VT3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 zcp m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeM3SSII
This is so obviously true. Anyone with OEM design engineering professional background (as I have) can have a good laugh at this. Forum champion (whose nickname used to be pencil-geek) re-branding bearing design to fix BMW M engineers mistakes. Please, this is bordering on the ridiculous. The main guy behind that venture is a basic engine technician who worked in a shop taking engine measurements and not someone who is learned in mechanics engineering design. Throwing Clevite in the mix to assert legitimacy is good marketing strategy but Clevite is a business like any other that makes money. Sure, they can spec any bearings one desire as long as they get paid for it for a big enough batch.
This tells me a lot. This tells me you don't know the guy, never worked with him, and made up just about everything you say. The "main guy behind that venture" built an Indy-500 winning motor, multiple 24-hours of Daytona motors, one or two winning 24-hours of Lemans motors, and multiple championship USAC, IMSA, and SCCA winning motors. His design engineer is former BMW M-engine designer, S14 designer, and successfully took BMW to Formula-1. Yeah, he's got his PhD in mechanical engineering. So maybe get your story straight next time you post.

Maybe, just maybe, these guys know a lot more than some random guy with a new screen name every few months who claims to have "OEM" experience.

Quote:
Just hypothetically , if the crankshaft forged steel grade and its production quality was at cause then that would explain that BMW never made that 5 min call to Clevite to talk about changing bearing clearance specs but I doubt the forged nitrocarburized high strength 42CrMo4 steel used for the crankshaft is lacking.
By the same token, BMW could fixed your problem with a new crankshaft. So why didn't they do it? Oh wait...they did do it...they been through four crank designs on the S85 and three crank designs on the S65. Why didn't any of these fix the problem? I can't wait to hear the next conspiracy theory.
Appreciate 0