View Single Post
      03-23-2015, 06:23 AM   #171
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
Personal I think the biggest problem is..."NA vs TURBO" .
That is one issue...and everything that goes with that (sound, etc). For me there is also the size. I also do think the front end is just a little too busy looking, although this is a minor point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598 View Post
That's every m3. Everyone generation has its downfall which makes the m3 not perfect. The e46 m3 sounded like complete shit in stock form. Wait it's one of the most beloved models now...and it had subframe issues...and other electrical issues...

Also from what I hear no one was excited about the e9x m3 when it first came out. They questioned the v8 and the weight. Look at it now. I'm sure people were super pissed about the e36 m3 when it came out due to the engine lol they are still pissed! But look at it now. I would comfortable wager the f8x will be the same. It's fallen short just like any other generation and amazed just like the others as well.
As I pointed out in my thread, this was not the case for me. I readily embraced each successive generation of M3, end especially the e9x. During the pre-production phase, when I saw the styling and learned of the high-revving small displacement V8, I was so excited. When I drove it, it felt like a glove. Everything about it just clicked. When I drove the M4, I certainly did not dislike it, sound notwithstanding, but I didn't see a reason to jump into it over my e92. As I said, there were just as many cons as pros compared to the outgoing car.

I still also contend that the powerband of a turbo motor is more suited to an AWD platform. The early rise of torque really needs the traction to be optimal. Otherwise, you basically have a engine that produces prodigious torque, only to have the traction nannies castrate it all to be able to get the power to the ground. What's the point in that?!! If they were committed to forced induction, I think SC would have been a better way to go with front engine/RWD, as it basically just augments the inherent power band of a NA motor, is much more progressive, and less inclined to overwhelm the traction of the car.

Last edited by LarThaL; 03-23-2015 at 06:32 AM..
Appreciate 0