View Single Post
      11-07-2014, 10:21 AM   #20
Killerfish2012
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335I, E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Sure, not the hottest, but I would still see the oil temperature needle of my E92 and E46 creep up even in such mild outside temperatures. The F8X stayed rock steady at 100degC throughout the sessions. An interresting obesrvation is that the engine oil temperature seems to drop a few notches when running the engine in "Sport+" compared to "Efficient" mode. Further, the intercooler was actually cold to the touch after a full 30min session. Not luke warm or cool, but cold. This gives me reasonable confidence that there is margin and that the F8X is able to run at the track at least as well as did my E92. I had concerns regarding this because of the move to FI, and it seems BMW did a good job with the heat management on the F8X.
Again, I don't know what this is being used to extrapolate, but that has virtually nothing to do with oil, coolant, and trans temps. Glad you had a good experience, but let me just give everyone the benefit of the doubt here, and assume the cooling mechanisms in the F80 are sufficient year round. Now, just how did BMW achieve this feat? You have 2 electric stand alone, Map based thermostats, and 4 electric stand alone Map based water pumps. The vehicle has 8 fluid coolers, and I think 6 of them are serviced by deviated coolant from the radiator. So, if you are staying cool for 30 mins straight, take a moment to consider what's happening to your electric water pumps. They are running at max speed. From years of experience with those things on the 335I, that doesn't bode well for their longevity, at all. The real drama comes when you are going to replace even one of those things after failure, which can render the vehicle inoperable. Remember that it takes a trained tech 8 hours to get to one of them in a 335I. Now there are several other issues that constant tracking of the new M3/4 will reveal about BMW turbos. I can go into them if you're interested. Topics such as intake/exhaust valve carbon build up from direct injection, BMW turbo, HPFP, Injector, and vanos reliability, and the list goes on.
Appreciate 0