11-18-2013, 05:55 PM   #1042
regular guy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Sprint car

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants View Post
Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants
What stands out is that the supercharged motor shows far less wear than the stock car...this is surely contrary to expected as the increase in CR and HP should cause significantly higher loads on the bearings during the combustion cycle of the supercharged motor.

So just to be absolutely clear...at maximum supercharger boost the effective CR does not exceed that of the standard engine?
Compression ratio doesn't change with boost. Compression ratio is defined as the ratio of cylinder volume at BDC divided by the cylinder volume at TDC.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants
It is a bit rich that pictures of piston crowns posted to demonstrate that no detonation was occurring then require some contortions to try and explain the clear evidence of poor combustion and micro pitting.

Take piston #8
What indicators of some level of detonation are you looking for: Firstly the evidence of a clean burn in the area of the cooler intake valves combined with a build up of carbon in the area below the hotter exhaust valves due to poorly controlled and accelerated combustion. Secondly a fine grainy sand blasted appearance visible on the carbon deposits in the same area below the exhaust valves.
Can you please circle the area you think you've seen detonation?

Quote:
Oh and the shop started up and stopped the car every day for 2.5 months! really? If so, I hope the cats had been removed else they would be most likely shagged.
You could have asked before jumping out on a limb.

Quote:
[I]Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants
Ethics are very much a personal thing.
If someone dropped a large $ bill and walked off I would pick it up and gave it back.
If I got too much change from a small corner shop I would give it back.
Where it starts to get blurred is with big companies, if I got too much change from a large supermarket I would be far less bothered about fessing up.
I've never been in the position where I have had to lie to a car dealer to get the right thing done...(I have had to argue extensively to get the right thing done plenty times though)....so I don't know what I would do.
Stunning admission that evil corporations deserve to be defrauded by their customers because they are profit seeking evil corporations.

Quote:
I think I must be getting confused.
post #2 under the section headed:

"Discovering S65 Bearing Issue
The bearings shown above came from a supercharged stroker motor. The engine was 4.6L and ran a very modest 6.0 PSI boost. After 24,000 miles, the engine was disassembled in July 2010 to rebuild as a low comperssion 4.7L motor. The bearings were photographed and stashed away. I always thought the bearings looked pretty "ratty" but at the time, nobody thought anything else about it. Today these photos might be ground-zero, exhibit-one in the discussion of rod bearing clearance."

Am I understanding this correctly - This "ground zero" engine was not using BMW standard rods but Carillo aftermarket rods?
If so why are its bearing data/pictures even being included?
"Ground Zero" == first discovery. The engine also had an aftermarket crankshaft. Why not throw in that diversion as well? Doesn't matter because they share the same journal size and rod bore size as factory.
Appreciate 0